- History of Arlington County
- Historic Sites
- Why Do They Call It…?
- Other Resources
- Events Calendar
3550 Wilson Boulevard
This building is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
South 23rd Street at South Kenmore Street (school parking lot)
In 1945 a new segregated elementary school was built for Arlington’s African American population in the Green Valley, now Nauck, neighborhood. It was the only Arlington school to be built in the Art Moderne architectural style. Originally called the Kemper Annex, it was renamed in 1952 to honor Dr. Charles R. Drew, a local resident and eminent physician. After receiving his medical degree (McGill University, 1933), Dr. Drew became the first African American to earn a Doctor of Science in Medicine (Ph.D.) degree (Columbia University, 1940). He was internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of blood plasma research.
With the end of segregation practices in 1971, the school became the Drew Model School, a countywide magnet school. In 2000 the school was demolished to make way for a new school building, also to be named in honor of Dr. Drew.
HUME SCHOOL (1891)
1805 South Arlington Ridge Road
The Hume School was built in 1891. The Queen Anne style building was designed by B. Stanley Simmons, an area architect. The school was named for Frank Hume, a local civic and business leader, who donated adjacent land for a playground. It was an active public school for 67 years, closing in 1958. The Arlington Historical Society, founded in 1956, led a successful community campaign to save the building for use as a local museum. In 1960, the Hume School was deeded to the Arlington Historical Society. The Hume School is a designated Arlington County Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Matthew F. Maury school
MATTHEW F. MAURY SCHOOL (1910)
3550 Wilson Boulevard
The Clarendon Elementary School was built in 1910 to serve the growing Clarendon neighborhood. The two-story symmetrical building was designed with a central hall and four classrooms on each floor. The school was renamed in 1925 to honor Matthew Fontaine maury (1806-1873), known as the “pathfinder of the seas.” He was a native Virginian, naval officer, geographer, and oceanographer. Prior to the Civil War, he was head of the Naval Observatory. In 1861, he resigned from the US Navy to become a Commander in the Confederate Navy. The Maury Elementary School closed in 1975, and in 1977 opened as the Arlington Arts Center. The Maury School is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.